Our Retail Price:£6.99Add to Basket
If walls could talk, what would they say? Perhaps they would tell us who built them and why. Maybe they could even tell us about people's lives today or about how our ancestors lived thousands of years ago.
In this book walls really do talk, and oh, the stories they tell. This new edition combines the beloved children's books Talking Walls and Talking Walls: The Stories Continue. Together, those titles sold more than 170,000 copies. This new edition, thoroughly revised by the author, makes the text more accessible to young readers and English Language Learners and produces a book that is ideal for reading aloud. The back matter includes a world map that helps readers locate the many walls described, as well as additional information about the walls, the places, and the people.
The Talking Walls books have been much honored, including:
- Top 25 Non-Fiction Children's Books Boston Globe
- Children's Books of Distinction Hungry Minds Review
- Noteworthy Book from Parallel Cultures: Horn Book
- Paperback Plum Booklinks
- Notable Children's Trade Book in the Social Studies: Children's Book Council/National Council on the Social Studies
- Winner of a Mom's Choice Gold Award -- Picture Books category
- Pick of the Lists, American Bookseller
- Best Multicultural Book, Publisher's Weekly "Cuffie Award"
- Fountas & Pinnell Level T
If You Build It…
Introduce readers to different cultures by exploring the stories of walls around the world and how they can separate communities or hold them together.” — Learning Magazine
“Links to social studies abound. A great read-aloud and a unique source of hard-to-find material.” — School Library Journal
“An unusually attractive book that wisely allows readers to draw their own conclusions.” — Kirkus Reviews
“Knight has found a powerful theme for introducing children to the world and its diverse cultures.” — Booklist starred review