“These are the voices of Crime and Punishment in all their original, dazzling variety: pensive, urgent, defiant, and triumphant. This new translation by Michael Katz revives the intensity Dostoevsky’s first readers experienced.” —Susan McReynolds, Northwestern University
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
• Michael Katz’s “superb” (Times Literary Supplement) new translation of the world’s most-read Russian novel accompanied by his preface and detailed explanatory footnotes.
• Names of principal characters, a note on characters’ names and a map of St. Petersburg.
• Key excerpts from Dostoevsky’s notebooks, letters and his early draft of Part II, Chapter 2.
• Twenty-six scholarly essays on the novel from Russian, European and American sources.
• A chronology and a selected bibliography.